Saturday, January 30

Warsaw LGBT & Supporters Community

The Warsaw LGBT & Supporters Community are a loosely-organized collective with a minor Facebook presence.  Since I'm taking this class to build a skill set in benefit of my community, it makes sense for my project to be in service to that same community.  The class discussions with previous student about their projects made me wonder "what if nobody contributes to my project?"

Knowing that my anxiety was based primarily in the fear of the unknown, I decided to reach out to the FB group for some preliminary feedback: "I want to record stories of living as a queer and/or trans person in Kosciusko County - officially for a class project, unofficially because WE'RE WORTH IT DAMNIT.  My fear is that nobody will want to share their experiences, even if it's as confidential and anonymous as is possible."

The responses were enthusiastic.  People threw out a few ideas, and one member even connected me with a writer for a Kosciusko county newspaper.  It makes me glad to see that people want this, and that no matter how broad or narrow the reach of my final project, it is already bringing our community together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, classmates! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.