Wednesday, January 27

Black Lives Matter

I don't know if I'll be able to complete the assignment for tomorrow.  I don't want to relive the terror of leaving live web feeds streaming while I try to get some sleep, waking up when things get loud, desperately checking the feed to see if I can spot my girlfriend in the rainbow hat I crochet'd for them to know that they're still safe.  One time I woke up to everyone trapped in MoKaBe's (a true Third Place), because the owner offered the people protection, so the cops surrounded the building and teargassed unarmed civilians including children.  I don't want to relive that moment - a swift google can find you the details.  But what I am going to share is a video filmed on the same location, a few nights later.  See if you can spot the tall girl in the rainbow hat [bottom-right corner].  See if you can feel the wash of relief that comes from knowing they might return home safe that night.


More information on the speaker in this video, Reverend Osagyefo Sekou, can be find in this Op-Ed for NBC.  I'm an atheist, but I hear the spiritual truths resonating in his words:
For young, poor black single mothers, kids with tattoos sagging their pants—anything less than putting your body on the line for them and being willing to pick up your cross in the case of state violence against them is heresy. You betray Christ if you do anything less.
Perhaps I can finish this assignment; and if I start to feel I am losing, I can listen to the heartbeat.

4 comments:

  1. As I sit here, racking my brain for something intelligent to say to such a sensitive situation, all I see is this rainbow sheep-looking thing constantly prancing across my screen. Just when I think it's done, it comes back- unlike my thoughts which are gone forever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Embrace the sheep - let its prancing flow through you.

      Delete
  2. The sensitive nature of a lot of my thoughts is why I sometimes don't speak up during class. We're all there to participate in the professor's structured lesson plan, and I have no interest in distracting from that. But hey, now I'm getting a grade to do this, so do this I shall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Drew here I kind of sit blank of such a tough topic but the sheep is always there no matter how blank my brain is

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, classmates! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.