Saturday, April 23

Creativity & Community Reflection


At the beginning of the semester, I went over what I hoped to get out of this class.  Now that I've reached the end, here again are the list of class objectives, followed by what I actually got out of it.
  • To create public spaces for creative/critical thought and action 
I  created a space for people to share their experiences in a public way, critically analyze the space and its impact on them, and create community together.  Moving forward, I hope to enable many more spaces that provide a variety of ways people can thrive.
  • To recognize and creatively reframe binary oppositions of thought and language
The issue of "safety vs visibility" came up, and I found a way to bring both together by making the stories visible rather than the storytellers.  This is something I am continuing to incorporate into my approach to life.
  • To work with and against the “enabling constraints” of various forms of discourse
The "safety vs visibility" binary felt disabling at first, but by considering how those two elements might guide my project, I was able to create something a publication I wouldn't have thought to otherwise.  I am hoping to use these skills to guide the discourse within spaces that I inhabit throughout life.
  • To learn how to make good use of diversity and difference as the necessary “friction” of creativity
Every person had a different way of telling their story, and it was up to me to anticipate those differences and to make sure I was accommodating many possible storytellers rather than preempting their participation.  This is something I already was experienced with, but I welcomed the opportunity to expand those skills in a new area.
  • To shape writerly identities that foster both personal growth and social change. 
Through this project, my identity took on a new shape, both within the community and within my understanding of myself.  I am better equipped to serve our needs and to advocate for a society that makes space for us.
  • To understand how discourse is shaped by specific spaces and places and how those assist and/or disrupt community formation. 
I was able to see how this area shapes our identities, and how we in turn shape this area. Many of us are hindered in our development by prejudiced attitudes, but we also manage to find a way to forge stronger bonds together than we would otherwise.
  • To write yourselves into forms, identities, and spaces that matter to you and that will bring you into deeper engagement with diverse communities. 
I initially had difficulty finding myself, but now I can see who we all are in relation with each other and Kosciusko County, and a way we can grow this community together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, classmates! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.